Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Escape from Camp 14


I'm not a fan of books and don't really read often. Manga and magazines don't count so unless you put those Narutos and Bleaches into the tally I don't have a lot of books which I can proudly say I've read page to page, line by line over the last couple of years. 4 or 5 a year would be pushing it.

So, it's quite a feat when I read 2 books successively within a month. I do buy quite a couple of books, but rarely finish them. Most are self help, motivational books, while others are related to science fiction topics such as time travel, inter-dimensional "physics", etc. 

The two books I've finished recently are easy reads too, compared to some of the other books I bought but too me too long to understand each topic. They are No Easy Day by Mark Owen and Escape from Camp 14 by Blaine Harden. I don't intend to do book reviews (though people might remember that I used to do game reviews a long time ago), so I'm just expressing my feelings through a simple blog post.

Both are extremely easy to burn through, and in fact I finished Escape from Camp 14 in 2 days. I've always been fascinated by North Korea's regime, how its people are oblivious to their own situation, and yet how belligerent its leaders can get. The book focuses on the hardship faced by people thrown into the political labour camps, but it also gives you a glimpse of how life is like living in North Korea.

Strongly recommended, so do pick it up if you are interested in how one man was able to eventually reach the US and become a voice for human rights.

No comments: