Sunday, August 27, 2006

走りましたから、足は疲れ過ぎました。。。

Another year, another Half Marathon. This year I went with Mabel, as well as good friends Simon and Zann. The girls didn't run and waited for us at a restaurant. Simon and I went for the full 21km, and came back to the girls limping from the finishing line. I've got a bad timing this year, due to the fact that I walked the last 5km due to cramps which were so bad I can't straighten my legs at all and had to stop by the side of the road many times. One of the reasons for my cramps was that the route this year was a busy one, and ladden with many pit stops in the form of traffic lights, in the Chinatown area as well as the Orchard area. My first cramp attack came at the 15km mark, and I knew I was a goner as every year the cramps gave me a bad time. Well, there's always next year to train for. And I was a little relieved too that I'm forced to give up on the 42km marathon due to an overseas attachment during the period of time.

Mabel drove us home as both Simon and me were not in the best condition to drive. It was her first time on the expressways and although she was a bit nervous, she still got the 4 of us home in 1 piece, which were more than I could wish for. I spent the rest of the day sleeping and trying to reduced the possibilities of the cramps coming back to me in the next few days. And yah, you can see the 2 Ultras on my dash board in this pic (Ultraman and Ultraman Tiga).

As many of you guys know, the new Transformers movie has released some pictures on the transformers which will be in the movie. It's gotten a lot of flak from the fanboys as it's nothing like the G1 Transformer series which director Michael Bay has promised to deliver. You can see the pictures over at this thread in the Gotwoot forums. So far only Optimus Prime looks relatively ok while the rest of the designs are pretty awful, especially Megatron. Click on the link and decide for yourself. To me, the only true Prime and Megatron are the ones in the G1 series, voiced by Peter Cullen and Frank Weller.

I've went on a Ghibli movie frenzy this week and watched Kiki's Delivery serice (魔女の宅急便) as well as Princess Mononoke ( もののけ姫). Kiki's Delivery Service was one of those feel good type of movie, but didn't really leave a lasting impression in my mind. Here's a short synopsis of the movie from wiki: The story is set in the fictional European country of Carikia, apparently on the Mediterranean (Kiki mentions flying south to the sea). Witches are real, but their population is dwindling, so the custom is for a witch to leave home at thirteen and spend a year living on her own, earning her living by her witchcraft skills. Kiki settles in the beautiful seaside island city of Koriko, and after initially finding it difficult to adjust to the pace of life, starts a delivery service that takes advantage of her ability to fly. Kiki experiences several setbacks such as slow business, misplaced merchandise, rude customers and illness. She also has to deal with her loneliness, worries, and homesickness.

However, Princess Mononoke really caught me by surprise. How did it take me so long before I finally took out this amazing movie and put the disc into my DVD player?! It's really an amazing piece of art, with an intriguing plot as well as fabulous visuals. It has now replaced Spirited Away as the number 1 Ghibli movie for me. I might be 9 years older that the people who saw it back in 1997, but this movie is timeless. Thumbs up for me and I would highly recommend it to the rest of the people, along with other famous classics such as Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies. Here's another short writeup from wiki: Princess Mononoke (もののけ姫 Mononoke Hime) is a Japanese animated film by Hayao Miyazaki and was first released in Japan on July 12, 1997 and in the U.S. on October 29, 1999 in select cities and on November 26, 1999. Roger Ebert soon placed the movie sixth on his top ten movies of 1999 [1]. Mononoke also became the highest grossing movie in Japan until Titanic took over the spot several months later. Overall, Mononoke is the second most popular anime movie in Japan, next to 2001's Spirited Away, also by Miyazaki. It is rated PG-12 in Japan, and PG-13 in the U.S. for images of violence and gore. It is a jidaigeki set in late Muromachi period of Japan, and centers on the struggle between the supernatural guardians of a forest and the humans who need its resources, as seen by the outsider Ashitaka.

Still reeling from the effects of the run this morning, so will leave it at here for now. Thankfully it's an off day tomorrow, so I can finally take this chance to do some revision for my Japanese class (haven't been doing homework for the past few months already). Until the next post, keep running and do leave a message/suggestion/complaint in my tagbox! Ja~

No comments: