Sunday, May 06, 2007

僕のデスノート。誰の名前を書きます。。。

Mabel's back from Taiwan, but she didn't take her camera along and so we won't get to see her shopping in action. She also declined to take photos of her magnificent harvest there, so as to avoid any possibilities of people getting too green with envy. All I can say is I'm surprised she didn't bring the whole of Simen Ding back. But she did get some stuff for me this time, most noticebly the Ultra Teddy shown above. I have the exact same thing in my car, just smaller. Now this teddy stands guard beside our bed while we sleep.

She also got this Ultraman phone, so we can finally use the phone in the living room. I've registered for a line a while back, but we've never really used it except for the ADSL line needed for my broadband connection. With this, it can act as a decoration and also we've finally have a reason to use the phone. Too bad I still can't remember my own number.

I also bought some Death Note related stuff last week when I was shopping around alone. I got the prequel novel based on L and Naomi, but was quite disappointed to learn that it wasn't in manga format. I also got a movie box set, which includes the Death Note replica note book, a photo album, and also a pen. The coolest thing about the note book is that it includes all of the rules in the anime and manga, and also includes all the people Light killed in the movie, including Ray, Naomi, Shiori, and the FBI agents. And we all know who is the last name. Here is a video clip I uploaded:


I've thought about what I would do if I really have a Death Note. To be honest, I would use it. Like what Light wanted, I too have a desire to make the world a better place. That was before he got obsessed and got his mind corrupted. But for me, nah, I won't make the same mistakes Light did. I do not want to be the God of the new world, nor do I want people to worship me like Kira. But I'll have a blast of the time with the note book. Nope I'm not sadist or anything, but it would be interesting to have such a power. The world would truly be a better place. Having said that, I hope a Death God (Shinigami) is reading my blog now. :p

Santa Claus is really the last person you'd want to be armed with the Death Note. Imagine all the children who are going to DIE. :(

Oh dear, what have they done..... I'm back home having just walked out of the theater an hour ago. And I'm sad to say this is my least favourite Spidey movie. I'm a big Spidey fan, since back in the days of The Electric Company. I loved the first 2 movies, particularly the sequel. And as excited as I was about this one, I felt that it was missing something. The movie felt rushed, and that many key scenes were not there. Maybe it was the overflux of villians. Maybe it was because I expected too much. I don't know, but I felt disappointed. Spoilers ahead, so skip this if you've not seen the movie yet.

I didn't like the fact that Peter initiated the kiss between him and Gwen. He knows Mary Jane's watching, and it was dumb on his side. I would have really preferred if Gwen was the one who pulled Spidey into the kiss. The CG scenes were good, but everything was moving too fast. There were not enough scenes to show off what Spidey can do. Sure it showed his speed and agility, but I wanted scenes where I can see Spider-Man moving like how he usually does. For example, I loved the train scenes in Spider-Man 2, where he actually crawls around slowly looking for Doc Ock. The way he moved was.... graceful. But none of that in Spider-Man 3. Everytime he's in his suit everything else just becomes blurry.

The Sandman and Venom back stories were not really developed. Sandman's background consisted of a 5 minute scene with his wife and daughter, and all we know is that he's not bad, but just has bad luck. We didn't even know why he was jailed, how he escaped, what the scientists were doing with the sand experiment, etc. Everything literally was there for the plot to exist. As for the symbiote, not much of any back story at all. All we know is that it came from outer space, amplifies agression, and is hard to remove. And this is the part where I'm really disappointed about. I wanted Spidey to fight more against the symbiote, and I half expected the symbiote to break out of its box and to take over Peter again, causing Peter to realise he was losing himself. Instead we get a new dancing Peter who decided to remove the suit after beating up a bouncer. Peter begins to wear his dark suit everyday, but why did the suit only retaliate when Peter decided to take it off at the church? Doesn't he take it off before he sleep? I would have loved for Peter to realise that the symbiote had a mind of his own, and that it was reluctant to let go of this "bond". But none of that happened.

I almost thought that the movie decided to skip the part about Venom being weak against sound, till the final fight scene. Thank god that it was at least explained. But still, that means that Peter at the church was nothing more than a coincidence. I very much wanted Venom to say "we" instead of "I". Here were the scenes which I thought he was going to say it:1) On top of cab with MJ - "Hey Parker. Remember us?"2) Strangling Spider-Man - "Do you remember what you did to me? Do you remember what you did to.... US?"But none of that happened. The symbiote didn't have the time to develop a personality. The good? Bruce Campbell was great. Stan Lee's line was good. No good memorable Spidey fights this time though. I'm disappointed, but still this is a Spidey movie, and I'll get the DVD when it comes out. On another note, I noticed that some of the scenes in the TV spots were taken out. Extras for the DVD perhaps.

I've just downloaded all 14 episodes of Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱). Normally I wouldn't be interested in such animes with overly cute girls, but this recent series caught my attention because of some youtube videos which featured Akihabara teenagers dancing to the ending song/dance. It's quite amazing how these people can gather on the streets to dance, and some in maid costumes too. I'm giving this series a try, so meanwhile check this out:

The original Ending theme:

On the streets of Akihabara:

It's 2:35am in the morning now, so I gotta go crash soon. Will update more soon during the week. Ja!

No comments: